Karahi gosht is one of the traditional Pakistani foods that people can have in every corner of Pakistan. Peshawar is a heritage city so Peshawari Karhai is a bit different from normal Karahi. The most common ingredient that one would find in almost every Peshawari foods is dried Fenugreek known as “sookhi methi“. It is a hurb that makes dishes more rich in flavor, enhance the taste of Karahi and give a appetizing smell to meal. Namak Mandi is well known for marvelous tikka and karahi in Peshawer.
Here is the Recipe of Peshawari Karahi:
Ingredients of Peshawari Karahi:
Mutton – ½ kg
Onion – 1 large (fine sliced)
Tomatoes – 3 medium (fine chopped)
Garlic & Ginger paste – 1 1/2 tbsp
Green chilies – 4 (chopped)
Yogurt fresh – 125g
Garam masala powder- 1/2 tsp.
Red chili Powder – 1 tbsp.
Dried Fenugreek – 1 tbsp
Salt – according to taste
Oil – 1/4 cup (according to needs)
Green chili rings and julienne strips of ginger for garnishing
Cooking Method of Peshawari Karahi:
- Heat up oil, in a cooking pan on a medium flame.
- Add sliced onion in it add salt and wait till it turns to a bit golden brown.
- Now put mutton pieces in pan and fry until color of meat get changed and it became dried.
- Add ginger & garlic paste in it and mix it well.
- Add all spices, red chili powder and garam masala powder in it and mix it well.
- Add chopped tomatoes and green chilies in it. Mix them and cover pan. Leave it for 7-10 mins on low flame until tomatoes get soften and dissolved.
- Add yogurt in it and again cover the pan and cook for few mins 4-7 mins until water get dried and meat becomes tender.
- Add dried feungreek and cover the pan for 2 mins on very low flame.
- Now Turn off the stove. yummy and tasty Peshawari Karahi is ready to serve.
- Garnish it with ginger strips and green chili rings and serve it with chapati/naan/roti.
p.s: Add some water before step 8 if meat is not tender after step 7.