Kashmiri dishes are traditional and had a great history behind them. Kashmiri dishes mostly are meat less because of hindu rulers who were pure vegetarian. But in the time of Muslims ruler all types of meat started to use make dishes except of cow meat. The most common ingredients in Kashmiri dishes are turmeric and ginger but the use of garlic and onion avoided. Kashmiri food mostly prepare in pure ghee(desi ghee). Kashmiri food is incomplete without Wazwan. Wazwan is a multi-course meal that is served for 4-6 people in a traditional big thal. it consist of thirty six different dishes.
Kashmiri Daal Chawal is a part of Wazwan. Kashmiri Daal is a combination of daals(lentils), Daal chana (Gram lentils) and Daal Mash (White lentils) and Chawal(rice) are just like normal boiled rice but have cumin seed tarka in it.
Here is the recipe of Kashmiri Daal Chawal:
Ingredients to make Kashmiri Daal:
Gram lentils (Daal Chana) -250 gm
White lentils (Daal Mash) – 250 gm
Ginger Paste – 2tbsp
Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
Red chili powder – 3/4 tbsp
Cumin seed (zeera) – 1 tbsp
Whole Red Chilies – 3-5
Salt – according to taste
Pure Ghee – 4-6 tbsp
Water – 400 ml
Cooking method to make Kashmiri Daal:
- Pure Water in a pressure cooker.
- Add gram and white lentils, ginger paste turmeric, red chili powder and salt.
- Mix all things well and close the lid. Put on medium flame.Give pressure on for 10-15 mins.
- Now to prepare tarka, heat up ghee in a fry pan on low flame and add cumin seed and whole red chilies in it.
- Fry then not more than 1 min.
- Spread tarka on boiled dall in pressure cooker.
- Kashmiri Daal is ready to eat.
Ingredients to make Kashmiri Chawal:
White Basmati Rice – 500 gm
Water – 1 ltr
Cumin Seed (zeera) – 1 tbsp
Pure Ghee- 2 tbsp
Cooking method to make Kashmiri Chawal:
- Heat up ghee in a pan on medium flame. Add cumin seeds in it and fry for 30 sec.
- Add water in it. Let it boil on high flame.
- Turn stove to medium flame. Add socked Rice in it. Stir them.
- cover the lid for 3-5 mins.
- Now lower the flame to the least point for 10-15 mins.
- Kashmiri Daal Chawal ready to serve.
- Dish out both things. and serve with mix pickle (achar), salad and zeera raita.
P.S: socked rice and both lentils in water for 15-20 mins before starting cooking.