[dropcap]B[/dropcap]iryani is a continental dish that is available in every region of Asia according to their own taste. Biryani is classified as a Persian dish because of its name that is driven by Persian word “Birian” means “fried” or “roasted“. There are different types of biryani like kacchi biryani, tehri, chicken biryani, mutton biryani, egg biryani, shrimp biryani, daal biryani and fish biryani. All these type of biryanies have different recipes in every region and named according to place like Sindhi biryani, Hyderabadi biryani, Bombay biryani etc.
Sindhi foods are full of Spices and have a little sour touch of lemon and yogurt. Additional ingredients for Sindhi biryani are yogurt and Potato, that make it different from all other kind of biryani.
Here is the Recipe of Sindhi Biryani:
Ingredients need to make Sindhi Biryani:
Chicken – 1 1/2 kg
Basmati rice (soaked in water for atleast 1/2 an hour) – 1 1/2
Potato (cut into chunks) – 1/2 kg
Onions (sliced) – 3 medium
Lemon (sliced)- 2 large
Yogurt – 750 gm
Garlic paste (Lehsan) – 2 tsp
Ginger (Adrak) – 2 tsp
Peeled Tomato (fine sliced) – 1/2 kg
Mint leaves – 1/4 bunch
Prunes (Aaloobukharay) – 10 -15
Red chili powder – 2 tsp
Turmeric powder – 2 tsp
Crushed Red Chili – 2 tsp
Bay leaves medium – 2-3
Cardamoms (Chhoti Ilaichi) – 3
Cloves (Laung) – 8-10
Black pepper (Kali Mirch) – 7-10
Cumin seeds (Zeera) – 2 tsp
Cinnamon sticks medium (Darchini) – 2
Saffron/ yellow color – 2 pinch
Salt – according to taste
Oil – 1 1/2 cup (according to needs)
Cooking Method of Sindhi Biryani:
- Half boil potatoes with a little yellow color and water as required. Heat up little amount of oil in a frying pan and put half boiled potatoes in it shallow fry them.
- Heat up oil, in a cooking pan on a medium flame.
- Add sliced onion and whole garam masala(cloves, cumin seeds, black pepper ) in it add salt and wait till it turns to golden brown. Make turmeric paste in a bowl by mixing turmeric in little water.
- Now put chicken pieces in pan and fry until color of meat get changed and it became dried.
- Add ginger & garlic paste in it and mix it well.
- Add all other spices, red chili powder and crushed red chilies and turmeric paste in it and mix them well on low flame wait for 2-3 mins.
- Add yogurt and shallow fried potatoes in it. Mix them well and cover pan for 10-15 mins.
- Add tomatoes and Prunes mix them. Wait for 3-5 mins on low flame until tomatoes get soften.
- Add mint leaves and lemon slices mix them cover pan turn off the stove after 1 min.
- Now take another pan boil water in it with a little salt, Cardamoms , cinnamon sticks and bay leaves. Add rice in boiling water, and drain the water off when the rice is half done.
- Layer the chicken and gravy with the rice in a pan in one on one layers. Make sure top layer have some gravy. Spread some fried onion and dissolved food color/saffron. Close the lid of pan and simmer on very low flame for 10-15 mins.
- Delicious Sindhi Biryani is ready to serve. Dish it out and serve it with raita and fresh salad.
P.S: Garam masala powder can be used if people don’t like whole Garam masala in meal.
Some useful cooking Tips:
- Always make turmeric paste from turmeric powder instead of using it dried.
- Dissolve saffron in milk instead of water.
- Avoid using packed yogurt in cooking as much as possible.
- Avoid using unpeeled tomatoes in gravy.
- Avoid cooking of lemon slices in water. otherwise gravy will get a bitter or Astringent.