Biryani is a continental dish that is available in every region of Asia according to their own taste. Biryani is classified as a Persian dish because of its name that is driven by Persian word “Birian” means “fried” or “roasted”. There are different types of biryani like kachchi biryani, tehri, chicken biryani, mutton biryani, egg biryani, shrimp biryani, daal biryani and fish biryani. All these type of biryanies have different recipes in every region and named according to place like Sindhi biryani, Hyderabadi biryani, Bombay biryani etc.
Hyderabadi biryani can be cooked in two types of biryani. One is kachchi biryani in which meat is marinated with spices and yogurt and leftover a whole night before cooking and then meat is layered between rice and simmer for 1-1.5 hour. The Other is pakki biryani in which meat is marinated for 2-4 hours before cooking and cooked before layering between rice.
Here is the recipe for making Hyderabadi Biryani in Kachchi biryani style:
Ingredients for making Hyderabadi Biryani (Kachchi biryani):
Basmati rice (soaked in water for atleast 1/2 an hour) – 1 1/2
Mutton – 1 1/2 kg
Onions (sliced) – 3 medium
Yogurt – 1 1/2 kg
Garlic paste (Lehsan) – 2 tsp
Ginger paste (Adrak) – 2 tsp
Lemon juice – 4 t
Mint leaves – 1/4 bunch
Prunes (Aaloobukharay) – 10 -15
Red chili powder – 2 tsp
Turmeric powder – 2 tsp
Crushed Red Chili – 2 tsp
Bay leaves medium – 2-3
Papaya Powder – 1 tsp
Cardamoms (Chhoti Ilaichi) – 3
Cloves (Laung) – 8-10
Black pepper (Kali Mirch) – 7-10
Cumin seeds (Zeera) – 2 tsp
Cinnamon sticks medium (Darchini) – 2
Saffron/ yellow color – 2 pinch
Salt – according to taste
Oil – 1 cup (according to needs)
Method for making Hyderabadi Biryani (Kachchi biryani):
- Take a big pan and pure yogurt in it. Beat it to make it smooth.
- Add 3/4 cup of oil, ginger garlic paste, lemon juice, chili powder, turmeric powder, red crushed chilies, salt. Mix all things well.
- Now Add mutton pieces in it. Mix it and leave for a whole night or 6-8 rz.
- Take a Pan and boil water in it by adding little salt bay leaves, cardamoms, whole garam masala (cloves, cumin seeds, cinnamon sticks, balck peaper) and 1/4 cup of oil.
- Add rice in boiling water and drain the water off when they get little tender.
- Now take that Big Pan in which mutton is left for marination, speared all rice on it.
- Spread mint leaves and dissolve saffron/ color. close the lid and leave it on low flame for 20-25 mins.
- Now Turn the stove on very low flame and let it simmer for 40-50 mins.
- Delicious Hyderabadi Biryani (Kachchi biryani) is ready to serve. Dish it out and serve it with raita and fresh salad.
Some useful cooking Tips:
- Dissolve saffron in milk instead of water.
- Avoid using packed yogurt in cooking as much as possible.